This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

19.9.12

Thresholds and what they don't mean (to me)

I've recently reached an age (I'm not going to tell you the number because it doesn't matter) which is sometimes seen as a sort of threshold. I mean, one of those points which lead people to say things like "now you're an adult" or "now you're too old to..." or "now you should think about...".
This kind of threshold into a different phase of your life should apparently give you pause, make you reconsider what you've achieved so far and where you want to go from here - at least that's what people keep telling me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nypl/3109775829/lightbox/

While I think it's a good idea to stop, take a deep breath and reconsider your choices and what you're doing from time to time (just to make sure you're not hurting people and still doing what feels good to you), I don't think there's a specific age, point or moment for that. And I really don't believe in behaving age appropriately. Sorry. Life is much too short to behave according to stupid cultural stereotypes.
My grandmother (the cool artisty one) used to say age is just a number, not a sell-by date. And I agree with her - wholeheartedly. If I want to build Lego castles on the living room floor or wear a neon-green tutu and flowered rubber boots to the supermarket that's not anyone's business, right?!
You know what I'm going to do with that threshold? I'm going to sit on it to think about nothing in particular, draw some flowers on it, have wild threshold sex on it (not sure if that's feasible, but will try), dance over it, invite my neighbors and have an impromptu party in the hallway next to it. That's what I'm going to do with that threshold.

Now I've told you what I think, I'm curious to know what your thoughts are. Do you believe in the deeper meaning of thresholds? Let me know in the comments if you like.

I usually lurk around here, although recently I'm spending a lot of time on Facebook (drop by and like my page if you like).


No comments: