This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

25.10.12

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

I absolutely love researching for erotic stories and novels. Of course I do, right? What happens between the sheets -- or bent over the couch, or on the kitchen table, or in the shower, or the balcony in the middle of the night when nobody should be able to see -- is the best kind of research I can imagine!

But I do plenty of research on other things. Especially places. I love to set my novels and stories in a place that really speaks to me.

The Green Room is primarily set in Nashville. I lived in the Nashville area for several years, so I am comfortable with writing about the places that country music calls home. But some scenes are in planes, and in the back of limousines, and even on a tour bus, because that's just how my characters roll. And I love to travel, so it made sense.

A Week in the Snow is completely different -- it's set in a tiny town in Iowa, and the characters are snowed in for the majority of it. A good friend of mine lived in Iowa for a time, and he went on and on about the harsh winters. When I went to visit, I loved the little towns. Why not set a book there?

After All These Years is another that takes place in the snow, but this one is in the windy city of Chicago. Why Chicago? My mother was born and raised there, and so it's safe to say the city is in my blood. And besides, I love the idea of being snowed in, cuddled up with my lover in a quiet oasis that happens to be in the middle of a vibrant, bustling city.

Speaking of cities, my writing has taken quite the turn since I moved up to the Philadelphia area. Now I'm writing about sex in a New York City apartment (and maybe even on the fire escape!), getting it on while riding a train through the Philly suburbs and even indulging in a little naughtiness in Washington, D.C. (After all, everybody knows those politicians are Kinky with a capital K!)

All of my writing, erotic or not, is set in a place that means something to me. What places mean the most to you? Do you like to read -- or write -- books that are set there, to a point where you search them out in bookstores or plot your tales based on the seasons of a particular locale?

Now I'm going to head back to my work in progress. It's set in Philadelphia in autumn. No surprise there!

Until next time,
Gwenny

3 comments:

Scarlett Parrish said...

I love to read books set in Edinburgh because that's my favourite city to visit.

Plus, I have two of your books on my Kindle waiting to be read, so I think it's an evening of smut for me! ;)

Gwen Masters said...

Excellent! I hope you enjoy the books!

Genevieve Bergeron said...

Gwen,

I really enjoyed this post! When I write, I go through the same location-identifying process as you, I think, tying story closely to setting. I've been lucky enough to live in some pretty interesting places--New Orleans, Paris, and Washington, DC--but you're absolutely right, it's the intimate, close-to-the-heart milieux that really fan the flame of creativity!

In fact, I was born in Huntsville, Alabama--a pretty small town--and was considering setting a romance there. Probably be a first, huh? :-)

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Gen Bergeron