- skullduggery by villain, clerics, moneylenders, bands of forest creatures (!)
- piety by evil nuns (?)
- heroes who truly are the cats' meows (!!)
- heroines who know how to wield a knife, a bow, a spoon (yeah, baby)
- heroines who know how to satisfy a lusty hero, get up and catch a thief or find a murderer
- heroines who can take a bath gracefully, survive deprevation of many kinds and still climb into bed, a bit sore for the efforts.
Like most historicals, medievals appeal to me for the escapism. And for the verisimilitude.
But there are some things up with which I will not put:
- heroes who don't take baths
- heroes who don't take baths before taking their ladies to bed
- heroines who don't seem to mind that he just took off his chain mail that he's worn for...oh...months!
- dinner that is eaten from plates (anachronisms R US)
- appointments that are so lavish, the mind reels (ex: carpets in the castle, glass in the windows)
- men who are very tall (Vikings, anyone?).
Got any you want to share?