This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

9.3.13

A story without a home

It's been an eventful week. I've just received the edits for my latest acceptance - always a pleasure. I've been to the hairdresser and my hair is now black with sections of green. And I've just finished the first story in two years that wasn't for a specific submissions call, and so officially has no home.

It did initially. Many months back, when I was blogging for Red Lipstick Diaries, a submissions call went out which inspired me to start a quick story plan for this one. However, RLD are long since defunct, and I've made too many changes to the setting for it to apply to that particular call now, although I could always alter it again if it came to it.

But it feels a little strange to be sending out a completely unrequested story again after such a long pause. At least when I've written for anthology calls I know my story will be considered on that basis. I have an image of this one limping around, miserable and unwanted, peeping round doors until it finds a suitable home.

It's worrying when you start viewing your stories in the same way as abandoned animals. Although that might be because I have my two rescue cats sitting next to me giving me the big eyes. They don't like it when I write - it means I'm busy not petting them.

So I'm crossing my fingers that this new story will find a loving editor. In the meantime I'll get back to the more important task of convincing my cats that green hair is not for eating.


8 comments:

Barbara Elsborg said...

That's interesting, Tanith. I'm the other way round. I've never written for a submission call. When I see them, I'm usually knee dip in some other story and so I don't have a chance of meeting a close deadline and when the deadline is ages away, I just forget it's there.
Good luck with finding a home for your lonesome baby!

Normandie Alleman said...

I don't picture your story sadly limping around unloved, but rather boldly knocking on doors, confidently saying, "I'm here!" with a smile that would melt the heart of any editor.

Perception is everything. Hugs!

Tanith Davenport said...

Hopefully it will melt an editor's heart pretty soon!

Anonymous said...

Ι needеd tо thаnκ you for thiѕ fаntаstic reаd!
! I сегtаіnly еnjoyed evеry little bit of іt.
Ӏ hаνe got you ѕаѵeԁ as a
favorіte to look at new thіngѕ you post…

Heгe is mу wеbsitе - iphone repair Selangor

Anonymous said...

Link еxchange is nοthing else hoωеver it is only plaсіng the other persоn's website link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar for you.

Visit my web blog: iphone repair

Anonymous said...

Linκ еxсhange is nothіng
else hοωеѵer іt іs οnly placing the other ρeгson's website link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar for you.

Feel free to surf to my weblog; iphone repair

Anonymous said...

Thanκ уou a lot for sharing this with all folκs you actually knoω what уou are talking apρroximatеly!

Bookmarkeԁ. Please adԁitiоnаlly seek adѵice
from my sіtе =). Wе cоuld hаѵe a hyperlink trаdе
arrаngement between uѕ

my web ρage iphone repair melaka

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an extremеlу nice poѕt.
Taking a fеw mіnutes and actual effort to
generate a grеat аrticle… but what can I ѕay…
I put things off a ωhole lot and don't seem to get anything done.

Feel free to visit my blog; ipad repair malaysia