This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

24.11.13

If I Could Turn Back Time...



By A.J. Llewellyn

Sequels are, by and large, the way for us authors to finish telling a story. When I wrote Hanalei Moon -the tale of a man who goes surfing one day and wipes out only to come to shore, discovering he's somehow lost 12 years of his life - I thought this unusual paranormal tale was complete.
It was a story that had been in the back of my mind for many years and actually writing it was an emotional experience. I've loved Hollywood movies since I was a kid. I particularly loved movies like Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, where everyone in his neighborhood must decide if he is or isn't nuts.
Hanalei Moon, though nothing like Mr. Deeds, addresses the same issue. What if someone tells you an outlandish tale...can you...would you believe them?
What if somebody disappeared from your life for twelve long years and suddenly returned, saying he couldn't remember anything?
How do you make amends with those you left behind when you had no intention of leaving them in the first place?
For my character, Gabe Loe, a world surfing champion, his missing years have resulted in losing everything.
When I finished writing the book, I was happy with the results, but found that the story kept haunting me.
I couldn't figure out why the book stayed with me when Gabe had his happy ending. The story was done.
Or so I thought.
I had lunch shortly after the book came out with my friend Rosie, who'd just read it. She loved it and said I should write a sequel. She said, "You should put him back in the water. He wipes out again only this time he comes back to shore and he hasn't lost those years."
Wow.
I could hardly concentrate on my massive slice of mudpie because my mind went into orbit. Literally.
Rosie had presented me with a challenge. Hasn't each and every one of us at some point wondered what it would be like to go back to a significant point in our past with full knowledge of the future and try to change something?
And what would it be? Would you maybe want to swing back and dump that loser boyfriend you had back then before he could break your heart?
Or would you maybe try your best to prevent some international catastrophe such as 9/11?
What if you could get a jump on technological progress and invent the iPad before Steve Jobs does?
Is this even possible?
I wrote Wolf Moon (originally published a few years ago as Blue Moon) at a feverish pace and I think it's a better book than Hanalei Moon because this time, Gaby has so much more to lose. He must somehow convince Pono, the man of his dreams, that he's been through everything that he has. He must also convince Pono, who right now hates him, that they should be together.
Oh, the angst!
I'd love to know what you would try to change i you could go back in time. And if you could, would you?

Here is the blurb and purchase link for Wolf Moon:
If you had the chance to go back and erase the last twelve years of your life…would you?
World champion surfer Gaby Loe inexplicably lost twelve years of his life when he wiped out in a bad surfing accident. When he came to the surface, he discovered his beloved dog Ginger, his car, his keys and his entire life were gone. Ntino, the man he'd loved had turned on him. Mickey True, his best friend, had stolen his name and was making money based on Gaby's mysterious disappearance. But Gaby has the perfect life now, with Pono, the man he loves, until…
Unbelievably, on Christmas morning, on the day of a wolf moon, when magic is supposed to happen, the two men have a rare fight and Gaby grabs his board and goes surfing. He wipes out again and when he makes it back to shore, Ginger is waiting for him. Somehow, Gaby has gone back in time and it's twelve years ago. Ntino is waiting for him, Mickey is still his friend. Can he—will he—take control of his past to secure the future of his dreams?
Reader Advisory: This book is a sequel to Hanalei Moon and is best read in sequence.
Publisher's Note: This book was previously released by another publisher. It has been revised and re-edited for release by Totally Bound Publishing.
Aloha oe,
A.J.

1 comment:

Silver Pixies said...

I love this series AJ the new Cover is Stunning!! Wonderful Blog post as well
oxoxoxo

Silver.